Sunday, February 3, 2013





ROADLESS JOURNEY

        I didn’t know that which genre of expressions will I finally choose but from the              childhood the feelings and wistfulness of deprived and strugglers have been in the centre of my activities. When I came to Patna to study, the fascinating city impressed me in many ways. On one side was the world with joy and thrill and frauds of daily life whileas on other side stood the crowd of those people who leave their homes early morning to do hard labour for their survival. Even a low wages work would bring happiness to their faces and the fear of not getting any work was evident from their eyes. Coolies, rickshaw drivers, rag pickers and other such people who played cards under shadow less trees and shouted abuses at one another for just a rupee or a bundle of beedi started affecting my mind and created in me the feelings of opposition and rejection against the web of illusions of mainstream people. No doubt that those faces have wiped away from my memory but their activities are still imprinted in my mind. When I selected colours as my profession, a strange sad comfort came in. I don't know how colours touch the sensibility of eyes of people but I get creative satisfaction when I use them.
Children and women have affected me greatly. The images of women have impressed me and led me to know and draw them. At one level, a section of humans and vagabond animals are shown living in one system as a compulsion. Things have got mixed so much that when I try to separate them, they get dissolved again. I am constantly inspired and disturbed by birds-animals and hardworking environment of life of farmers. I am reading the language of furrows of those faces that have a story hidden in them. Having no words to express my emotions properly, I request you to walk forward towards my pictures.
                                                                                 MANISH UPADHYAY
                                                                                              MUMBAI..

No comments:

Post a Comment